Home > HBCU Profiles > Coahoma Community College
Coahoma Community College
3240 Friars Point Road
Clarksdale, Mississippi 38614-9799
(662) 627-2571
Contact: Wanda J. Holmes
http://www.ccc.cc.ms.us/
Scholarships
Post New Scholarship
College Logo
Campus Queens
Student Members
Alumni Members
Sports Headlines
2011 Major League Baseball Draft Tracker HBCU Players
Post Sports News
College Overview  
     Coahoma Community College, located in the northwest corner of the rural Mississippi Delta, is an accredited, public, comprehensive, two-year institution of higher learning dedicated to serving Bolivar, Coahoma, Quitman, Tallahatchie, and Tunica counties and beyond. Serving as a catalyst for economic and community development, Coahoma Community College provides accessible, affordable, diverse, and quality educational opportunities and services that foster a nurturing teaching and learning environment, promote intellectual and work readiness skills, support personal and professional growth, and prepare students to enter the job market or transfer to a college or university.
Quick Facts
Undergrad Population: 2565
Graduate Population: 0
Student Body: Coed
In State Tuition: $2100
Out of State Tuition: $5000
Room & Board: $3714
Applications Due: Rolling admission (No fee required)
Degrees Offered: Associate
Conference:
Mascot: Tiger
Accreditations:
Online Classes: yes
Percent Men: 32%
Percent Women: 68%
Coahoma Community College Related Video
CCC iREAD... see more videos
Upcoming Events at Coahoma Community College
The Wall
Future spot for testimonials, comments, pictures, video
Majors Offered

Art

Business and Computer Information Systems

English and Foreign Language

Health, Physical Education and Recreation

Math and Science

Music

Social Science, Education, and Psychology


Unique Programs
Sports & Extra Curricular Activities
Choral Groups, Concert Band, Marching Band
College History
     Establishing Coahoma County Agricultural High School in 1924, Coahoma County became the first county in Mississippi to provide an agricultural high school for Negroes under the then existing “separate but equal” doctrine for education. The junior college curriculum was added in 1949, and the name of the institution was changed to Coahoma Junior College and Agricultural High School.
     During the first two years (1949-1950), the junior college program was conducted by one fulltime college director-teacher and a sufficient number of part-time teachers from the high school division, A full-time dean and college faculty were employed the third year.
     During the first year of operation (1949), Coahoma Junior College was supported entirely by county funds. In 1950 Coahoma junior College became the first educational institution for Negroes to be included in Mississippi’s system of public junior colleges and to be eligible to share in funds appropriate by the Mississippi Legislature for the support of public junior colleges. Counties, other than Coahoma, that supported the college were Bolivar, Quitman, and Sunflower.
     In 1965, Coahoma Junior College opened its doors to all students regardless of race, color, sex, national origin, or disability.
     Coahoma Community College and Agricultural High School has been headed by eight superintendents found four presidents: M.L. Strange, 1924-25; J. M. Mosley, 1924-29; J. w. Addison, 1929-37; J. B. Wright, 1937-45; B. F. McLaurin, 1945-66; J. E. Miller, 1966-79; McKinley C. Martin,1980-92; and the incumbent Vivian Presley, 1992 to present. With her appointment as superintendent/president January 6, 1992, Dr, Vivian Presley became the first female to head Coahoma Community College and Agricultural High School and the first woman to head a community college in the state of Mississippi.
     With the approval of the Board of Trustees of Coahoma Junior College and the State Board for Community and Junior Colleges, Coahoma Community College’s name was changed to Coahoma Community College, effective July 1, 1989.
     In the spring of 1995, after many years of not having an official district, a bill was introduced in to and passed by the Mississippi Legislature and signed by the Governor giving Coahoma Community College a district. Effective July 1, 1995, the Coahoma Community College district became Bolivar, Coahoma, Quitman, Tallahatchie, and Tunica Counties.
More Campus Photos
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
LIVE HBCU Basketball HERE!
View HBCU Basketball Broadcast Schedule Here
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!